Welcome to Knightcastle kennel
Breeding black Flat-coated Retrievers since 2005
Last update: July 18, 2014
Knightcastle is breeding multi-purpose black flat-coated retrievers for obedience, hunting, show, agility or simply for pure pleasure since 2005. With three generations, you can find our dogs across Canada, USA, Bermuda and soon Australia, both British oversea territories.
My name is Yvan Ruel. Back in 1988, searching for the perfect companion dog, I fell in love with the breed in a book called 'Les chiens du monde'. In those days, without internet and today's search engines, finding a flat-coated retriever breeder was hard and that's how Octave, a golden retriever, came into my life, for more than fourteen years. In 2001 I finally got Darwin, my first flat-coated retriever. What I did not know at the time is that he was going to change my life forever. From a simple house dog he was supposed to be, he became a fantastic obedience and field dog, putting titles over titles, in Canada and USA. When Octave left this Earth to the rainbow bridge, a sweet little girl named Nova entered my family. Nova is over ten years old now and is still in great shape. She accomplished the same titles than Darwin and even more, allowing me to found Knightcastle in 2005 with her first litter (David Bowie).
My current dogs are Nova, Knightcastle's foundation girl, Céleste, Baxter, Holly and Forrest. Lark, Olive, Hopper and Lilly will also be part of my breeding program. They are very active dogs and are in excellent health. I am not pushing them with over-training and retire them at a young age from competition. Their results speak for themselves. My dogs are part of my life and are living in the house with me, no kennel. I train and handle my dogs myself for the obedience, for the show ring and also for field events. All my dogs made their Championships in the 'Bred by exhibitor' class, without a handler. I am a member in good standing with the CKC, FCRSA, and the Flatcoated Retriever Society (UK), and am bound by the respective codes of ethics of these clubs. I am also a CKC carrying judge for hunt tests and working certificates for retrievers.
The flat-coated retriever is a gundog breed originating from the United Kingdom. It's a very popular hunting dog in Europe, but almost unknown here in North America. The flat-coated retriever is the perfect dog to have outside or in the house, playing with you or with children. Exuberant, confident, and outgoing, they make a loving family companion and won't let you down.
Each litter is carefully planned considering the quality, health clearances (OFA), the pedigree and the accomplishments of both the Sire and the Dam. Knightcastle is breeding high quality flat-coated retrievers for temperament, type and soundness, with good working abilities and outgoing personalities. The flat-coated retriever is still considered a 'multi-purpose' dog and Knightcastle is always keeping that in mind. I don't breed for one specific goal or purpose. I have a litter on the ground only from time to time, mainly to fulfill my own requirements, not to accommodate the demands. Knightcastle is breeding for black flat-coated retriever only. Once you're in the Knightcasle family, we are also helping our dog owners to achieve their goals with their dogs.
Come take a look at my dogs and enjoy your visit and please, don't forget to come back!
- Celebrating a new Champion for Knightcastle: CH Knightcastle Beatrix Potter (Kia). She is from the 'Great scientists' litter of 2012 (Todd & Céleste). Congratulations to owner Brenda Kearns:-)
- Congratulations to Kia (Knightcastle Beatrix Potter) (and Brenda Kearns) who got her Senior DockDog title and finished second in the Iron dog event.
- Best of Breed for Forrest at the St-Francis show in Brome.
- Storm completed her MXJ with a beautiful run that was 15 seconds under course time! She is now Knightcastle Isaac's Storm MX MXJ OF. Congratulations to owner Kathy Petroni:-).
- Congratulations to Thy (Knightcastle Lady Fairy Thy) and Marie-Eve Cavanagh who passed the first step this week end for becoming the first Knightcastle search and rescue dog.
- American WCX for Parker and Carlee at the Long Island golden Retriever Club.
- Best of Breed for Forrest at the Hochelaga show in Montréal.
- More news here